Friday, May 22, 2009

Thank You, 93rd Street School!


Recently I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in "Career Day" at 93rd Street School in Los Angeles. I got to spend the day visiting classrooms and talking about my life as a writer. The kids were enthusiastic, respectful, and asked the most insightful questions, including one I'd never been asked before: "Did your mom and dad and teachers turn you into a writer, or was writing something that was always inside of you?" I had to think on that one a moment! I was definitely encouraged and supported by my wonderful parents and teachers, and I was introduced to writing at an early age because my dad is a writer -- but writing feels like such an integral part of who I am that I do like to think it would have been a part of my life regardless.

That said, I do at times feel discouraged, restless and uninspired as a writer. When that happens, talking with kids is the best way to recharge my batteries and renew my enthusiasm for reading and writing.

I am always looking to set up talks at schools, youth groups, or other organizations. I can talk for as long or short of a time period as you would like, and have experience talking to age levels from kindergarten to high school. I also love to teach fun writing workshops to schools. Plesae don't hesitate to contact me if you're interested in setting something up! E-mail me: dallaswoodburn@aol.com or visit my website www.writeonbooks.org.

No comments: