Friday, April 27, 2012

Honored with Teaching Award from Purdue!



Exciting news! I've been honored with a Committee for the Education of Teaching Assistants (CETA) Teaching Award from Purdue! I am humbled and thrilled for this recognition. Four graduate student teachers were chosen out of the entire English Department, and we were honored at a ceremony with other graduate student teachers from all across the university. It was a very special night! I truly love teaching and I feel very blessed I get the opportunity to teach undergraduates while pursuing my MFA at Purdue. 

I'm currently teaching English 205: Introduction to Creative Writing and English 106: Academic Writing and Research (a basic composition course all freshmen are required to take.) Next semester I've been accepted to teach English 420: Business Writing. I am looking forward to "paying forward" and hopefully inspiring Purdue's business students in the same way the terrific professors Patrick Henry and Tommy Knapp inspired and encouraged me when I was an undergrad student in the Entrepreneurship program at USC. 

This was our last week of classes at Purdue, and some of my wonderful students asked to take a picture with me after our last class. Here we are in the hallway outside our classroom:


I believe teaching is a symbiotic learning relationship with my students, and I am certainly inspired by their hard work, intelligence, creativity and kindness every day!

4 comments:

Karen Cioffi said...

Dallas, I'm so thrilled for you. Congratulations!!!

I'm sure your an amazing teacher.

Tracy Krauss said...

Congratulations Dallas. I'm sure you are very deserving of this award.

James Garcia Jr said...

Congratulations, Dallas. That is very cool news. Keep up the good work, my friend!

-Jimmy

P.S.: Sorry I haven't made it back in a while. *waves*

Dallas Woodburn said...

Thank you so much! :)