Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Fortune for All of Us

I had delicious Chinese food for dinner last night, and one of my favorite things about ordering Chinese food is cracking open the fortune cookies at the end of the meal. Last night, my fortune read: "Daydreams may be pleasant, but accomplishments are more satisfying."

I think this fortune can be applicable to everyone. Dreaming about the future is important, as is setting aside some time every day to daydream and let your mind wander freely. But, on their own, dreams are not enough. True satisfaction is focusing on a dream and setting forth with bravery, determination and hard work to turn that dream into a reality.

It doesn't have to be a huge leap. It doesn't have to happen all at once. In fact, I've discovered that pursuing your dreams is a lot like a climbing mountain, or taking a road trip somewhere new -- the best part actually isn't the moment you reach the peak of the mountain, or pull into the driveway of your final destination. The best part is the journey you take to get there -- all the surprises, detours, U-turns, and even roadblocks that happen along the way -- because overcoming those hardships and learning those lessons make you a better, stronger, wiser, more compassionate and giving person. As Coach John Wooden likes to say, "The journey is better than the inn."

I get the most joy and satisfaction out of actively pursuing my dreams, little by little, every day. I feel purposeful. Every day, I learn something new. Every day, I am humbled. Every day, I feel blessed.

What steps are you taking TODAY to actively pursue your dreams?

No comments: