Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Guest Post by Maria Rainier: Staying Motivated

I became a writer when I was seven years old. My mother bought me a journal and I never looked back. Fifteen journals later I am on my way to becoming the writer I want to be, but it isn’t easy. I endured lapses of time when I didn’t write, but like an empty car I am in need of the fuel that will carry me on. I have to work hard on my writing skills, but there is nothing I enjoy more.

Here are a few of my own philosophies for staying motivated to my writing. Just like staying in shape it is a work in progress, but having a starting place is always handy.

1. Read. Read. Read. I have never met a good writer that didn’t read and read often. Writers who do not read lack an attachment to their readers which is evident in their writing. It is our responsibility to draw our readers in, and when we lack the focus, we can call upon others to show us the way. Use it, stretch it, and be proud of whatever your own flavor becomes. Creativity is at our core and seeing it in others helps us tap into its wealth. When we are lost, we can find inspiration in others.

2. Find your voice and stick with it. An incredible writer, my father, always tells me that the core of my writing lies in the voice that shows through it. Always be open to the criticism from those around you, especially those you respect, but learn to know what is yours in your writing and do not compromise it. Improve it.

3. Figure out why it is you want to write. And then write. It really is as simple as that. Growing up I wrote because it was my way of dealing with life. Writing has served a different purpose throughout the years and every change has helped me to grow differently. A few years ago, I decided to give my life to writing and that is my new purpose. Whether we want to write books, publish articles, put together a screen-play or simply get lost in our journal, knowing why you want to write will help keep you writing.

To me, writing is one of the greatest gifts I have been given in my life. When it comes close to becoming a burden, or I feel my inspiration slipping away I return to these three simple things. Be inspired by others, shout or whisper with the inner-voice inside, and always remember why you are writing. Everything else will fall into place.

This guest post was contributed by Maria Rainier. She frequently writes on the topic of online degrees.

2 comments:

Alanna Klapp said...

Maria, this is a beautful post. I am feeling a little overwhelmed today with my writing (one of those days where I don't think I can do it), and then I happened upon this and it was just what I needed to read to get going again.

Dallas, thanks for posting this. I'm glad I found your blog today and I'll be back.

Unknown said...

This definitely has inspired me too! I'm trying to gather the missing pieces again of my writing sphere, I hope I achieve it!