Friday, November 17, 2017

Interview with Young Author Marina Baker

I am so excited to feature an interview today with young author Marina Baker, who I have been honored to know for a few years now. She has participated in Write On's Summer & Winter Writing Camps and she is also a featured author in Dancing With The Pen II

Marina is a prolific and talented writer and has already published a collection of poetry titled Sock Drawer. Now, she is celebrating the publication of her novel Escape Reality, which is available on Amazon here

Read on for Marina's insights about the writing process, finding inspiration, going after your goals, and publishing your work!

Marina and her brother, Miles, in Colorado.
What would you like readers to know about you as an introduction?

My name is Marina Baker. I am in ninth grade and I live in Ventura, California. Some of my other hobbies, besides writing, are swimming and reading.

How did you get your idea for Escape Reality? Take us through your writing process. 

I got the idea for Escape Reality when my mom said that I had a little inner monster inside me after I got really mad when doing yard work. I thought that this would be really cool if I actually turned into a monster, which happens to the main character of Escape Reality, Lily.

What do you like most about writing? 

What I love most about writing is the fact that I can create a whole new world that can be my own. I also love that I can possibly inspire other people, just like how I was inspired by some of my favorite authors.

Marina, you are quite amazing because at your young age, this is already your second published book! (Your first, Sock Drawer, was a wonderful collection of poems!) How was writing and publishing Escape Reality different from the writing and publishing experience of Sock Drawer

I think that when I self-published Sock Drawer I was new to the world of publishing. One big difference was that my parents and I really had to set up the font size and page breaks, everything like that. When publishing Escape Reality I didn't have to worry about that as much, because the book was published as a Kindle eBook. I think that both experiences were very important and memorable. 


Do you have any advice for other writers, or for other young people going after their dreams? 

For other authors, I would say to keep working for your goals. If I had scrapped all of Escape Reality because of the first page, I wouldn't be where I am now. For other young people, I would say the same. Go with your gut and keep pushing because you are going to achieve great things. 

Can you share a few of your favorite books or authors? 

One of my favorite books is the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. I really look up to JK Rowling and think that she is an amazing author. Another one of my favorites is the Selection series by Kiera Cass. I would definitely recommend both of them.

What inspires you? 

I am really inspired by other writers as well as my cat, Chanel. I also really like to write about magic and far off places.

What are you working on now? What’s next? 

Right now I am working on a story about an escaped prisoner. I don't really know how it is going to pan out, but I really like it so far, and I hope that I can stick with the story.

Anything else you’d like to add? 

Some other things about me: I am addicted to Harry Potter books. I just love the story so much!!!


Links:

No comments: