Thursday, February 25, 2010

Short Story Published in "The Green Silk Journal" Winter 2010 Issue!

I am excited to share with you that my short story "Click, Then Silence" is part of the Winter 2010 issue of The Green Silk Journal!

Here is an excerpt:

“I miss you,” I say. I don’t mean to; the words just tumble off my tongue, like pearls slipping off a broken necklace then spilling across the floor, a few caroming underneath the furniture. You can try to collect them all and string them back together, but you’ll inevitably be missing one or two.

The good thing about the phone is he can’t see me, can’t see the way I’m nervously twisting a strand of hair around my index finger, around and around and around, as if by doing so I can turn back time and take back those three little words I so carelessly threw at him.

My best friend Susanne says guys don’t like to have things thrown at them, even unexpected compliments; they like to work for it, or at least feel like they are working. I haven’t asked Keith if this is true, of course, but if I did I bet he would snicker, “Why do you always listen to Susanne?” I don’t think he likes my friends much, Susanne least of all.

I hear him breathing on the other end of the phone. Just soft breathing. The silence lingers, stretches, two breaths, three, five, and then he exhales an awkward little laugh and says, “I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay, bye.” I wait a few more breaths – mine, one, two, four – until I hear the tiny click of him breaking away from me, and then I, too, hang up.


Read the rest at http://www.thegsj.com/storiespg2win2010.html
(Scroll down; my story is the second on the page.)

2 comments:

Jana Gifford said...

Dallas,

I love reading your writing because it is so refreshingly original-like a deep breath of North-Western air. Great job! Hearing about your success is inspiring.

Jana Gifford
www.janagifford.blogspot.com

Dallas said...

Jana,

Thank you SO much for the kind words. You made my day! :)

Always,
Dallas