I celebrate each new year by reviewing what I accomplished in the past year and setting new goals for the upcoming year. I've found that writing down my goals is a rewarding way for me to take steps towards leading my best life and becoming my best self. A helpful way I break things down is to set goals for different aspects of my life: Writing Goals, Write On! For Literacy Goals, and Personal Healthy Life Goals.
Here are a few of my highlights from 2009:
- I graduated summa cum laude from the University of Southern California with a B.A. in Creative Writing and Entrepreneurship.
- I created a new website for my foundation Write On! For Literacy: www.writeonbooks.org.
- I held the second annual Write On! Summer Writing Camp and had the pleasure of working with 24 amazing young writers.
- My short story "Numb" was published in Monkeybicycle and was nominated for a Pushcart Prize and for the Dzanc Books "Best of the Web" anthology.
- I became a contributing writer for the websites GradtoGreat.com and TweenParent.com; other new markets I broke into this year include iMediaConnection, ParentingPink.com, Attribute Magazine, and True Love Magazine.
- I became Youth Director of the national organization SPAWN (Small Publishers, Artists, and Writers Network) -- check out the newly revamped SPAWN website for loads of resources and information on how you can join this wonderful writing community!
- I was a guest on more than a dozen radio shows and spoke to nearly two dozen classrooms and community organizations.
- I was fortunate to meet many amazing and supportive friends who greatly enrich my life!
- Publish the first Write On! Books anthology of work by young writers.
- Build partnerships with other literacy and youth organizations.
- Expand and improve the Write On! website. (Any suggestions? Let me know!)
- Complete my second novel manuscript.
- Enroll in an MFA program.
- Exercise three days a week.
- Learn to play the guitar.
- Do at least one act of kindness every day.