Monday, January 25, 2010

Interview with Young Author Taylor Probst

Taylor Probst is twelve years old and in junior high. She loves reading and writing and is currently focused on fantasy. One day, she says she would like to try writing a story that takes place in another world. She is the author of Buffy and the Carrot, xxxxx.


Tell us about Buffy and the Carrot. What was your inspiration/motivation behind this book?

My inspiration to write this book was my two little sisters and my two cousins who begged me to tell them a funny story. I wanted to make them laugh, so I made up the story of Buffy and the Carrot. They loved it and started to spread the story around. Then my aunt encouraged me to make it a real book so we can share it with other children.

What have you learned through writing this book?

I've learned how hard it is to write a book and that it doesn't happen overnight. Writing and getting a book published is a lot of work!

How did you get started writing?

I always loved hearing and listening to great stories, and like to make them up. I'm always begging my parents or aunt/uncle to tell me stories about when they were young, especially the mischief they got into! This led me to wanting to make stories of my own up and write them down.

What is your writing process like? Do you write on a computer? In a spiral notebook? Do you draw illustrations?

I usually make up a story in my head and if it sticks with me, then I write it down. I use a notebook or talk into a tape recorder. I'm not the best artist but I like to draw pictures to match the story also.

How do you get ideas for what you write?

I look at pictures and things happening around me. All the sounds and sights around me can inspire a story. I start with a character that is interesting and try to make a story around that character.

What is your biggest advice for other young people reaching for their dreams?

Go for it. If you have a great sotry, just try. If it doesn't work out, at lest you get to say you tried.

What are some of your favorite books?

I love Judy Blume. It's Not the End of the World was a great book since my parents are divorced. And I love Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I also love fantasy and am currently reading The Crystal Shard by R. A. Salvatore. It's wonderful.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

If a twelve year old can write a book, anybody can accomplish a goal or a dream. Never give up and don't be afraid to ask for help along the way.

No comments: