Monday, June 20, 2011

Interview with Ninad Mahajan


Ninad Mahajan is a 12-year-old sixth grader who lives in Morrisville, Pennsylvania. His essay "The Fantastic Trip" is featured in the Write On! Books debut anthology, Dancing With The Pen: a collection of today's best youth writing, which is available on Amazon here. In addition to writing, Ninad likes to play football and cricket, swim, and create games like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" in PowerPoint. He has also been playing the piano for 6½ years. Read on for Ninad's thoughts and advice about writing, reading, the creative process, and more! 

Describe your piece or pieces that were published in Dancing with the Pen. How did you get your idea for the piece? Take us through your writing process.

My piece is called "The Fantastic Trip" and is about my trip to India in the summer of 2009. I got the idea when I realized that I could write about a wonderful memory. I wrote a long, 14-page rough draft, shortened it and revised/edited the piece, and then typed it up.


Have you been writing for a long time? What do you like about writing?

Yes. I actually was selected to read an essay about veterans of America in 4th grade. What I like about writing is that you can express what you’re thinking about and change it as you go along. You can’t change what you say out loud.

What does it mean to you to have your piece included in this book?

It means so much to have my piece published in this book. It was great to get the news that I won this contest. We went out to eat that weekend. I was really happy to get the news, but I especially want to thank my mom and dad for motivating me.

Do you have any advice for other writers, or for other young people going after their dreams?

Be patient with your writing! Never give up if your writing is missing something. A good tip to use if you are stuck on what to write about is to list down all the important or interesting things you can think of in 2-5 minutes.

Can you share a few of your favorite books or authors?

I am an absolute die-hard fan of Harry Potter! I also like any realistic fiction books.

What inspires you?

It is mostly the support and motivation that I get from my family. Also, any books I read give me inspiration as well.

What are you working on now? What’s next for you?

I recently won 1st place in the VFW Patriot’s Pen contest for a post in my nearby area, and then got 3rd place in the district. I also just finished writing a poem for the Barnes & Noble "Favorite Teacher Contest." I look forward to participating in many more essay and poem contests.

Anything else you’d like to add?

I would like to thank Dallas and also let everyone know that Write On! For Literacy is a great project. Everyone should keep reading and writing as often as they can!

Links:
  • Order Dancing With The Pen on Amazon. (It rose to a #2 ranking on Amazon.com in the "literature anthologies" category in its first week of release!
  • Please take a few seconds to "like" our Amazon page!
  • And, if you have a few minutes and could write a review on Amazon, that would be fantastic! 
  • You can also follow Dancing With The Pen on Facebook and Twitter. We're now featured on Goodreads, too!
  • Discounted bulk orders are available at the Write On! website: www.writeonbooks.org

No comments: