Saturday, June 11, 2011

Interview with Michael Tabman, author of "Midnight Sin"

Michael Tabman is a veteran law enforcement officer and FBI agent turned author. He is the author of the business book Walking the Corporate Beat and the new novel Midnight Sin. Peter Giuliano, a producer of Law and Order, raves: "Midnight Sin is as good as anything that has come before it. Once you start reading you will not be able to stop. My heart was pounding. This is a powerful story told by someone who has captured the feelings of all of us, no matter what side of the law you happen to be on." 

Michael was kind enough to stop by the blog today to tell us about his new book, his own personal writing journey, advice for young writers, and more!


What would you like readers to know about you as an introduction?

Most of my adult life was spent in law enforcement -- as a cop, then a career FBI Agent. I never expected to find myself writing books.

Tell us about Midnight Sin. What was your inspiration/motivation behind this book?

Midnight Sin tells the story of a young rookie cop who walks on to the midnight shift. He finds that being a cop changes everything he thought he knew about life. Busting drug dealer and street thugs while trying to catch a serial rapist is nowhere near as challenging as watching his back from his fellow cops. Midnight Sin is look at the cop psyche as well as the dark side of human nature. The motivation and inspiration are the true life events and characters I encountered during my career.

What have you learned through writing this book?

I have learned that life can take many unexpected twists and turns – just like a well written novel.

How did you get started writing?

I started writing immediately after retiring from the FBI. I had a lot of mental energy that needed to be channeled and writing seemed to be the perfect outlet.

What is your biggest advice for young people reaching for their dreams?

First, do not give up. I had tremendous difficulty getting through creative writing in high school.
Second, be open to honest critiques, but do not be discouraged by criticism.
Third, learn to recognize the difference between constructive critique and baseless criticism.

What are some of your favorite books?

Although I write novels, I tend to read non-fiction. My favorite books are of the social/psychology genre, such as Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink, which explores the nuances of human behavior. I incorporate those concepts into my writing.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes: find your own voice. Only you can be you.
 
# # #

Visit Michael's website to learn more about his books and to watch the trailer for Midnight Sin!

Follow Michael on Twitter here.

No comments: